Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Starting My Year Write

I guess I should apologize for the horribly cheesy pun in the title. It's atrocious, I know. But I'm writing this at 12:30 am and I don't plan to spend any extra time thinking of a better one.

I'll cut to the chase--I just got back from a ten day Writer's Residency on Whidby Island in Washington. It was awesome! That's the short story.

And I really do feel like I've started 2015 off right, having spent that time hanging around cool writer people, learning about writing, and (gasp!) writing. I'm excited to keep chasing the dream of writerhood in 2015 and excited to say I've been provisionally accepted into the MFA program in Creative Writing at the Northwest Institute of Literary Arts (NILA).

So what does that mean? It means a) I'm going to be doing a lot more writing. Because it will be my homework to write. A lot. And it means b) I will be sleeping a lot less. Sad face. It also means c) that I will be going back to Washington for another residency in August.

If you're curious, NILA is a low-residency program, which means that you start classes during the residency and keep working on them through the online platform later. If I work hard, it will take me about two and half years to finish the program.

Here's a few pictures of what I was up to on Whidby Island during my ten days there.
Staying at a cool bed and breakfast.

Eating.

Going to workshops in this little building, dubbed "The Icehouse."

Going to other sessions in the Captain Whidby Inn.

Chatting it up with cool writer people.

Eating.

Enjoying awesome views.

Being amazed by my host's napkin folding skills.

Enjoying more views.
Meeting fun friends.

Eating.
I also was brave and read one of my poems at a student reading one evening, which was fun and a new experience for me. I'm looking forward to heading back in August, but I have a whole lot of writing to do between now and then.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your adventures in writing! Sounds like a decade of college is not enough for you;) I am one of many fans of your writing, and look forward to the fruits of your ongoing training!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Ben! Yeah, I have a fan! Haha--you can never have enough college. ;) Actually trying to pretend this isn't college, just a fun thing I get to do. Either way, thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete