Friday, October 3, 2014

Five Faves for September

This is my first time trying this, so I'm gonna stretch the rules a little bit. The idea is that I share five things for the month that I've discovered, loved, and that made my life happy! Obviously, I'm a bit late for September! Still, here goes.

1. Connie Willis (To Say Nothing of the Dog, Bellwether)

This is my top favorite for a reason. I can't say I've enjoyed an author so much since I first discovered Rick Riordan. (You can read about that awesomeness here.) Connie Willis writes science fiction, but both of the books I've read so far aren't at all like what I think of when I think science fiction (absolutely no aliens involved). My intro to Willis (hat tip to my friend Kim for that) was To Say Nothing of the Dog, a romance/mystery/sci-fi/just-plain-fun book that I had a hard time putting down. Most of the book takes place in Victorian England as two time-travelers (Ned and Verity) try to solve the mystery of the disappearance of the bishop's bird stump, a hideous vase of sorts. I just finished Bellwether--the story of a trends researcher who is utterly un-faddish--and liked it nearly as well. I think what appeals to me the most about Willis is the way she fills her books with the most delicious details--history, literature, science--all in the minds of characters who are enthralled by knowing and connecting ideas. I am perfectly certain that if I met Willis' characters in real life, we would get along.


2. Noosa yogurt

Passion fruit flavor ... mmmm
This stuff is amazing. I've been an Activia fan for a while (I eat it almost every day), but this yogurt may just convert me. It is like dessert. Seriously. So far, I've had the pumpkin, the tart cherry, and the raspberry (all amazing), and I fully intend to try every flavor I can get my hands on. I'm looking at the website right now, and THEY HAVE PASSION FRUIT. These people clearly know me. (Thanks to Shoshanna for sharing your snacks, else I might never have known what I was missing!)

3. "Overwhelmed" by Big Daddy Weave

I love Big Daddy Weave! This song makes me so happy. It's been around for a year or so, apparently, but I heard it for the first time on the radio this month.

Here's the chorus:

I delight myself in You,
Captivated by Your beauty;
I'm overwhelmed, I'm overwhelmed by You.
God, I run into your arms,
Unashamed because of mercy;
I'm overwhelmed, I'm overwhelmed by You.

Listen to the full song here:





4. Breathe Christian Writer's Conference

This doesn't really count, because I haven't actually gone yet. But I am all signed up to attend Breathe Writer's Conference one week from today! I have wanted to attend a writer's conference for a while now, so I am excited to attend (and thankful to my friend Alexis for letting me know about it). I hope to share some of the highlights of it with you soon.

5. The Crow

Ze crow
The crow is a yoga pose that looks like this lady on the right:
I've been working on it for a while (read: two years) and I can finally do it! Yeah! It feels really good to say that. (Please don't tell me how you were able to do the crow the first time you tried. Please. Do. Not.)

Here is video proof of me doing the crow.
(Um--note: In this video I say I'm going to hold the pose for a "few minutes." Make that "a few moments." Ha. Not like you want to watch me hold the crow for even one minute anyway.)

video



No comments:

Post a Comment