Friday, October 17, 2014

Breathe Christian Writer's Conference

I had a great time last weekend at Breathe Christian Writer's Conference, held at Grand Rapids Theological Seminary. If you're looking for a writer's conference to attend and live in or near Grand Rapids, I'd highly recommend marking your calendar for next year's conference on Oct. 9-10, 2015! (Bonus--you can enjoy the conference and celebrate my birthday with me!)

Me and my friend Alexis, who told me about the conference!

I've been meaning to go to a writer's conference for a while, and, believe me, I gleefully put a check mark by this item on my bucket list after attending. So here are a few highlights from the conference for me:

1. Getting to meet and interact with a bunch of really cool people who are published authors, bloggers, agents, or in other ways invested in writing. I never guessed how inspiring it would be to hear others' stories of their writing journeys, whether already published or still working toward that goal. I came away with a greater desire than ever to pursue my dream of writing and to persevere in whatever ways necessary to see my work published.

2. Workshops on publishing. I went to a lot of really great workshops at the conference, but the ones that were the most helpful and interesting to me were those that talked about the nitty-gritty details of getting published. I feel like someone just shoved a million tools in my hands that I didn't even know
Me and my friend Shannon, who recently got a book contract!
to look for before. Stuff about finding and working with an agent, writing a book proposal,
publicizing your work, and moderating your expectations when actually published. There's more for me to learn on these topics, but I feel headed in a good direction.

3. Resources. At the conference, I gathered a ton of resources that I'm super excited to use. Websites to help me keep in the loop about the book market (e.g., Publisher's Weekly). Blogs that discuss publishing topics. Magazines to send submissions to. Other conferences to possibly attend. Web tools and apps to promote my writing. Books on writing or just plain good reads (I've ordered a few! Can't wait until they arrive.).

Best of all was getting to chat with my friends Alexis, Jill, and Shannon about everything we were learning! I can't wait to attend my next writer's conference, and I'm on the hunt for a great one to try out.

No comments:

Post a Comment