I probably won’t post a lot of recipes on here. But I did kinda make this one up. I think it’s pretty amazing. You should try it.
Caramelized Onion and Goat Cheese Pizza
Makes 2 amazing pizzas.
2 pre-made pizza crusts (I used Freschetta’s Artisan Golden Wheat, which was good)
1 jar of pizza sauce
1 sweet onion
3 tbsp. butter
3 tbsp. sugar
2-3 links sweet Italian sausage
2 medium tomatoes, sliced
1 red bell pepper, sliced
1 package baby bella mushrooms, sliced
15-20 leaves fresh basil
1 small package (4 oz.) goat cheese, crumbled
16 oz. mozzarella cheese, grated
1. Slice the onion thinly and separate the rings. Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the sugar and stir until dissolved. Add the onions and stir. Cook until onions are soft and a deep golden brown. Set aside.
2. Brown the Italian sausage in a frying pan.
3. Slice the tomatoes, pepper, and mushrooms and grate the mozzarella.
4. Spread the pizza sauce over the crusts.
5. Add the toppings! I add them in this order: tomatoes, pepper, mushrooms, sausage, caramelized onions, basil, goat cheese, mozzarella.
6. Bake in a hot oven (400 degrees) for about 25 minutes.
Et voila! C’est delicieuse!
This is my favorite combination, but it is also great without the sausage. I’ve also tried it with eggplant, which is pretty good, too. It takes a little longer because you have to slice and salt the eggplant (to draw out the bitter juices) and then sauté the eggplant before adding it to the pizza.